at 1.58pm BST
at 1.58pm BST
Action by Noi Denunceremo (We Will Report), a relatives’ committee established in April, has been gathering pace in recent months, with a report alleging Italy’s severely outdated pandemic plan may have contributed to thousands of deaths also being submitted to prosecutors in Bergamo.
Italian authorities allegedly failed to update the country’s pandemic plan in 2017, when the World Health Organization (WHO) and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) established new guidelines.
The group has branded recent praise of Italy’s subsequent handling of the pandemic as “fake news”.
“After over 36,000 official deaths and thousands more at home or in care homes, who were not tested as the hospitals exploded, not only have we not seen any institutional representative step aside, but both the prime minister and president of the Lombardy region have started regional, national and international media campaigns which would enhance their deeds in recent months,” said the committee’s president, Luca Fusco.
The new complaints will be filed to prosecutors on Thursday, bringing the total submitted so far to 300.
Conte was questioned by prosecutors in June. He said during an interview with the Guardian and five other European newspapers on Tuesday: “We are living in a situation that was unthinkable for all of us. Some accuse me of having done too much, of being a liberticide, while others accuse me of having done too little. I’m aware that before responding to public opinion or a judicial authority, I should respond to my conscience. And I say this humbly: I think I did everything possible to manage a really difficult situation.”
Italy is scrambling to contain a new rise in coronavirus infections, with daily cases hitting 4,458 on Thursday – the highest since mid-April.
at 12.55pm BST
Spain invokes state of emergency to impose partial lockdown on Madrid
at 1.01pm BST
The latest daily coronavirus numbers are the highest recorded in Germany since 16 April, when testing capacity was considerably lower. The infection fatality rate in Germany for now remains relatively low, at 3% compared with 4.7% in June.
Berlin has emerged as one of the hotspots of the pandemic’s second wave, with the capital on Thursday crossing the crucial threshold of more than 50 cases per 100,000 people over the last seven days.
“These developments cause me great concern”, Berlin’s mayor, Michael Müller, said on Thursday evening. Bars, restaurants and off-licences in the capital will from Saturday be forced to close between 11pm and 6am, and rules around public and private gatherings at nighttime will be further tightened.
“We cannot rule out having to agree to take further steps”, Müller said. “We want to do everything to avoid a lockdown like the one we’ve already had.”
at 11.50am BST
at 11.09am BST
Phone records of former police chief considered crucial in investigation to determine who made the decision to use private security guards.
Victoria police never formally requested Telstra provide ex-police chief Graham Ashton’s phone records to help the hotel quarantine inquiry uncover who made the decision to use private security guards in the botched program, Guardian Australia can reveal.
On Wednesday, a spokesperson for Victoria police told Guardian Australia that police “did contact Telstra and request incoming call data for the former chief commissioner’s phone”.
Telstra on Friday, however, disputed the police’s account and denied such requests were made.
“I can confirm that we did not receive any formal requests for information,” a Telstra spokesperson told Guardian Australia.
A Victoria police spokeswoman said police had “cooperated fully and transparently with the inquiry”.
“As it remains underway it would not be appropriate for us to comment further at this time.”
The president’s experience with coronavirus has been very different from the ordinary American senior, but Trump has ignored the disparities.
From getting a helicopter ride to a military hospital with a specialised suite to receiving experimental drugs made available to fewer than 10 people, Donald Trump’s experience with Covid-19 has been very different from that of your average 74-year-old American with a serious illness.
The president ignored these disparities after returning to the hospital on Monday night and in a video from the White House Trump said of Covid-19: “Don’t be afraid of it.”
Here’s a look at how different the experience of catching Covid-19 is for the most powerful 74-year-old in the US compared with most of his fellow citizens.
at 9.20am BST