5-Day Nationwide Weather Forecast
A trough is located over Southwest Bay of Bengal at present, and its related rainband is approaching the east coast of Southern India. Under its influence, Tamil Nadu, southern Andhra Pradesh, and the adjoining areas will see isolated to fairly widespread rains, along with some intense thunderstorms this weekend. Further, light to moderate showers at isolated/scattered places, with isolated thunderstorms and lightning, are also likely over South Interior Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Karaikal, South Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Yanam, Rayalaseema, Kerala and Mahe during the next 24 hours.
As per the India Meteorological Department (IMD), a fresh western disturbance is set to affect Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit, Baltistan & Muzaffarabad from Saturday. Under its influence, light to moderate isolated to scattered rainfall/snowfall with isolated thunderstorms and lightning very likely over the region during February 20-21.
This event will be directly followed by another disturbance, and continue until the middle of next week with some increase in intensity. The second system will affect the Western Himalayan Region from February 22. Under its influence, light to moderate scattered to fairly widespread rainfall/snowfall with isolated thunderstorms, lightning and hail are very likely over these regions during February 22-24. Total snow accumulation for the next five days is estimated to be 20-75 cm, with locally 100 cm also possible.
Maximum temperatures will be 4 to 8C cooler than normal across inland areas of Southern India this weekend. Meanwhile, higher maximums are likely across Northern India during this forecast period. Inland Saurashtra may see daytime highs of over 35C from Sunday. The area with highs of over 35C is forecast to extend to the Konkan coast as we head into next week.
Minimum temperatures will be warmer than normal across much of the country during this forecast period, except for the Deccan Plateau, where temperatures will be normal.
Dense to very dense fog is expected in isolated/some pockets over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and West Rajasthan during the morning hours of February 20-21, with a reduction in intensity and spatial coverage likely thereafter.
2-Day Regional Forecast
- Moderate to heavy rain and thunderstorms are likely along coastal Andhra Pradesh. Fairly widespread rain and thunderstorms are expected over Tamil Nadu.
- Scattered snow/rain and thunderstorms have been forecast over Ladakh, whereas scattered rain and thunderstorms are on the cards over Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Karnataka.
- Isolated snow/rain and thunderstorms have been predicted over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and Arunachal Pradesh. Isolated rain and thunderstorms are possible over Goa, Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Dense fog is likely at isolated places over Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.
- Scattered snow/rain and thunderstorms are likely over Ladakh and Jammu & Kashmir. Scattered rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast over Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Karnataka.
- Isolated rain and thunderstorms are possible over Goa, Lakshadweep and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Dense fog is expected at isolated places over Punjab.
For weather, science, and COVID-19 updates on the go, download The Weather Channel App (on Android and iOS store). It’s free!